Immortal love ....
n

Walking along the Munster church on saturday with our friends Gul and aman who hd come to stay with us last week for 4 days from Bremen, i came across this wonderful stone paved between normal stones on the pathway around the church on Munster platz in Basel.
The stone here says
that on 9.3.1981, the love between Harald and Gabriele began to bloomI guess the couple must have read this poem by Edmund Spencer:
One day I wrote her name upon the strand,
But came the waves and washed it away:
Again I wrote it with a second hand,
But came the tide, and made my pains his prey.
Vain man, said she, that dost in vain assay
A mortal thing so to immortalize!
For I myself shall like to this decay,
And eek my name be wiped out likewise.
Not so (quoth I), let baser things devise
To die in dust, but you shall live by fame:
My verse your virtues rare shall eternize,
And in the heavens write your glorious name;
Where, whenas death shall all the world subdue,
Our love shall live, and later life renew.
So Harald also wanted to make his love immortal by the small paved brass shield between path stones...
Just found it sweet and so nice so wanted to share it with u.
All those living in Basel pls do go n see if u can find this stone on munster platz.


2 Comments:
So romantisch!
Saturday, September 02, 2006
So beautiful and romantic!! I wish I could see it in Basel!!
Saturday, September 02, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home