This is my platform for sharing the exciting parts of my life with Vivek with all my friends and loved ones. I do at times also express my mundane views on the mundane things of life.

9/21/2008

.Driving in Europe.

Yeah!!!! I finally passed my Theory test for driving.
Having driven in India for so many years, well to be truthful I didnt much miss not driving, the public transport being wonderful here and also Vivek being a wonderful driver :).
Since Mallaika entered our lives, Vivek was really after me to start driving again.

The entire process of having a driving license in Switzerland is really complicated.
1. First you have to take a 8 hours first-aid course ( I did mine 2 years ago...)
2. Then you have to fill up a form, get a eye test stamp on form from optician and then along with some identity papers send it out.(I finally managed to do it this april)
3. Then you get a TheorieprufungsAusweis, which is like an identity and entrance card for the theory exam, and have to register for theory. (I registered for 6th sept and passed it in one go with only 3 mistakes, you are allowed 14 so it was a good score)
4.After clearing the theory, you get a L driving license (I am finally at this stage).
This is valid for 2 years and within this time you have to do another 8 hours theory course)and in this time you have to pass the practical test, you get only 3 chances to do that and in case you donot manage in these 3 chances, you have to get yourself tested by a psychologist and get his ok before you get another chance (pheww...that's absolutely true).
All in all I had one driving class and driven Mallaika 4 times with Vivek sitting beside me.
Driving in Swiss- yes its different from India, I luckily haven't forgotten how to drive but after leaving driving for almost 5.5 years, my driving has gone rusty. In fact more than me Vivek was a little disappointed with my confidence level. Well I am happy with the way I drove coz, it would definitely take me many hours of driving to come up to my level back in India and also taking into consideration all the rules that one has to follow here.
I didnt have any problem with gears being on the right side, only big time problem I have is with the indicators, yeah thats really funny, whenever I have to turn on the indicators, I turn on the wipers, well here in swiss the indicators are on left side but in India on the right side. Other than that surprisingly I didnt have much problem.
Rest as Priya with whom I chatted a little today said that her motto is GEAR UP, I am inspiring myself to gear up as well for more hours on the road driving.
Well wish me luck guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  •